Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"Time To Say Goodbye" In Memory of Donnie

by Carolyn Hamlett






In Memory of Donnie, my high school sweet heart, my best friend and companion of many years who died 7 years ago today. Life goes on, but it will never be the same.  

Four years ago when I was grieving the loss of my friend, two wonderful things happened which helped ease the pain. Maybe it was God working though one of his servants or maybe it was a coincidence, but I will never forget this blessing. A friend sent me a video of a beautiful water show that had the most beautiful music behind it. With a little bit of searching I found the artists and this beautiful video. Somehow it spoke to my heart that it was time to let Donnie go. I posted this video on Facebook with these words and then left to do my daily laps at the community pool:

"It was 2 years ago today that he passed....exactly one month after we celebrated his 55th birthday. He was a former High School sweet heart and my very best friend. When he left, it hit me like a ton of bricks...that my world would never ever be the same again and it never has. Hardly a day goes by that I do not think about him and miss the companionship we shared. I cry today because I miss him....and...I smile too, as I remember the wonderful times we shared together. Someday I know that I will see Donnie again...and when that happens, we will pick right up where we left off...as if no time at all has passed. That's the way it is with good friends.....only, today, as it just seems like forever...."

When I was swimming the laps, I was still grieving. I took a break, looked up. My eyes beheld a most glorious sun set. I wanted to cry again because Donnie and I went nearly everyday to the beach to watch the sun set. He used to take me there because he knew that evenings were difficult for me, that I got depressed every evening, but some how being at the beach to watch the sun set, kept me from feeling the dark depression. When ever there was a sun set as spectacular as the one I was seeing from the pool side that evening, he would turn to me and say, "It's another Mona Lisa, Lady Carol, another Mona Lisa.". 

So, I found myself saying out loud, "It's another Mona Lisa, Donnie, another Mona Lisa." and as I was saying those words, I glanced over at the pavilion to notice that though it was vacant, it was decorated for someone's Birthday with bright and cheerful "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!" signs everywhere. I realized that all day long I had been grieving the anniversary of Donnie's death....yet...that day was someone's birthday...and in truth, it was also Donnie's Birthday to his new life. 

Happy Birthday, Donnie. My life has never been the same without you because you were such a good friend to me. 


Time to say goodbye     --     I'll go with you

Sarah:
When I'm alone
I dream of the horizon
and words fail;
yes, I know there is no light
in a room where the sun is absent,
if you are not here with me.
At the windows
show everyone my heart
which you set alight;
enclose within me
the light you
encountered on the street.

Time to say goodbye.     --     I'll go with you
to countries I never
saw and shared with you,
now, yes, I shall experience them.
I'll go with you
on ships across seas
which, I know,
no, no, exist no longer;
it's time to say goodbye.     --     with you I shall experience them.

Andrea:
When you are far away
I dream of the horizon
and words fail,
and, yes, I know
that you are with me;
you, my moon, are here with me,
my sun, you are here with me
with me, with me, with me.

Time to say goodbye.     --     I'll go with you
to countries I never
saw and shared with you,
now, yes, I shall experience them.
I'll go with you
on ships across seas
which, I know,
no, no, exist no longer,

Both:
with you I shall experience them again.
I'll go with you
on ships across seas
which, I know,
no, no, exist no longer,
with you I shall experience them again.
I'll go with you.
You and me.